A round-up of what we accept, our biggest needs and how to donate.
The Friendship Center welcomes in-kind donations of food, goods and services. Scroll down to view our most-needed items as well as items we cannot accept.
Food: Non-perishable (and in some cases, perishable) food items. We welcome your homegrown and community garden produce!
Goods: New and unopened personal hygiene, bathroom and cleaning supplies.
Pet Food: Unopened dry or canned dog and cat food (nearing expiration is fine), and cat litter. We also accept treats, stainless steel bowls, and new and gently used collars, leashes and toys.
Services: We’re always looking for professionals (or talented amateurs!) who are willing to donate their time and skillset. Areas of current need include:
- Commercial Cleaning Services: Twice yearly deep clean of professional kitchen space (vent hoods, grease traps, etc.).
- Technology: We’re hoping to improve our in-house network and integrate a donated commercial printer.
- Drivers: Drivers needed, mostly on Fridays and Saturdays, to pick up food and other donations. Bonus if you have a large vehicle such as a minivan or pickup truck!
- Cooks: We could use a couple more experienced hands in the kitchen for our Thursday dinners.
Check out the Volunteer With Us section for additional opportunities!
Have a large donation? We’re always happy to partner with local businesses to turn excess food into groceries and meals for our clients. We can also provide documentation for tax purposes. Please contact Justin Block to discuss.
To drop off donations, visit the Friendship Center during the following hours:
2711 W. Lawrence Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
If you need assistance, call 773-907-6388 when you arrive. A volunteer will come out to unload, you don’t even need to leave your car!
Monday: 2 – 4 p.m.
Tuesday: 3 – 7 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
(The BEST day for drop-offs – no distribution – delivery and stocking day)
Thursday: 2 – 7 p.m.
Friday: 2 – 6 p.m. Saturday: 11 -4 p.m.
***Please do NOT leave donations outside our front or back door! We cannot serve food that has been left outside for an indeterminate amount of time.***
Current Wish List: Most Needed Items
Last Updated: 3/9/22
Please find below a list of our current most needed items and links to our Amazon wish lists. Items purchased from the Amazon wish lists can be shipped directly to The Friendship Center! Any other items can be dropped off at the times listed above. Thank you!
- White Rice
- Dry Pasta
- Bags of Oatmeal
If you are considering purchasing food for the pantry, please consider a direct financial donation instead, as we are able to buy food through the Greater Chicago Food Depository at extremely low and sometimes subsidized prices.
- Diapers (Size 1-6), especially sizes 4 – 6
- Wet Dog and Cat Food
- (We already have great sources for dry dog/cat food and litter)
For Friendship Center Programs
- Brown paper shopping bags with handles and plastic bags
We do not accept clothes or household items onsite, but your donations to Family Tree Resale will directly help Friendship Center clients!
Family Tree Resale accepts donations on our behalf and provides us with vouchers that our clients can use to purchase needed items. Just mention The Friendship Center when you stop in! Family Tree Resale is located at 5066 N. Lincoln Ave.
Items We Cannot Accept
- Frozen or refrigerated food
- Expired food items
- Computers and electronics
- Used baby bottles
- Car seats
- Anything that is soiled or needs repair
*Please keep in mind: If you wouldn’t give it to a friend, we shouldn’t give it to our clients. Thanks!